Doretta Lau tests a vegan banana bread recipe three times and makes it sugar and gluten free
Over the past three years I’ve had some serious health issues. I developed food allergies to things I’ve eaten all my life. One of the saddest things is I can no longer eat anything with yeast in it. I used to be the person that ate everything in the bread basket and asked for seconds, but I had to search for other delightful baked goods.
After doing a lot of research into gut health, I spent nine months without eating any refined sugar, as well as cutting down on fruit. I stopped drinking. During the time I was off sugar, I didn’t have a single migraine. Then I went straight back to eating cake and cookies and the migraines came back. (I’m still eating things that have sugar in them because delicious.)
Last month I had this horrible burning feeling in my kidneys that lasted four days, so I decided to shift to a plant based eating plan to see if it would make a difference. I’m happy to report my blood work after I made this change was amazing–I reduced my cholesterol levels, as well as improving my liver function by a huge margin. My kidneys are running great! (I still have to refrain from drinking, though.)
I decided I would have to bake for myself, mostly because I have an allergy to coconut and many commercial vegan baked goods contain coconut oil or coconut sugar.
I found this recipe for vegan banana bread on The Baking Fairy site and made some adjustments according to my personal needs. One of the modifications I made was I removed 1/2 cup flour from the original recipe (which calls for 2 cups of flour), so it only rises to a cake level, rather than banana bread level. If you want your loaf to be more robust, you can add another two bananas and use the full 2 cups of flour and maybe add a splash more oil and nondairy milk.
Ingredient List for Vegan Banana Bread
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- stevia to taste (I used Now Better Stevia and 12 scoops using their tiny spoon)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cup gluten-free all purpose flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
Modified Instructions from the Baking Fairy
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray, [I used olive oil spray] then flour.2. In a large mixing bowl, roughly mash the bananas. Add the brown sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond milk, and whisk to incorporate.3. [Pour] in the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and use a wooden spoon to mix. [I tried baking this three times with sifting and without, and it’s fine to do it without sifting.]4. Transfer the batter to your prepared pan.5.Bake for about 45 minutes, then cover with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes longer, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a couple crumbs.